9.18.2010

9/11

Last Thursday (Sept 9th) Lucie hopped in the car after school and asked me what holiday was on Saturday. I was scouring my brain trying to think what holiday was coming up. Nothing on Saturday, I replied. She responded yes there is a holiday on Saturday with those twin buildings that fell down. It completely caught me off guard because we had not talked about 9/11 with her directly. I am sure she has seen pictures in passing or heard conversations, but this time she asking and was curious about it. The next thing that she asked was what happened?? I took a second to collect my thoughts. Like the majority of Americans 9/11 is sometimes in the far back of my mind. It has been 9 years since it happened and it is not always in the forefront of my thoughts. As I started to explain and tell the story of what happened that day I felt the emotions coming to the surface and thought about the families who were directly affected. I wanted to record these few thoughts because I was reminded how quickly we forget these events and Sept 11th becomes just another day.
I am glad that Lucie told me that they were talking about 9/11 in school and I am glad that we were able to chat about it. Lucie seemed to have an understanding about it that I cannot quite describe. She asked questions and shared feelings. It helped me remember the importance of remembering and for the precious gift of our freedom.

No comments: