7.31.2011

A Mixed Bag of Marbles

Today has been an emotional day.  We have been fasting for Trent's sister Tania today.  She had her 7th baby 10 days ago.  She had  a rare postpartum complication-a coronary artery dissection.  She has a tear in an artery and has had two "heart attacks" in the last few days.  Yesterday Trent talked to her at her request that she speak to all of her siblings before she has surgery.  She will have bypass surgery tomorrow morning.
As I was sitting in sacrament meeting today I just kept thinking and praying for her.  I couldn't help but hold my little friends a bit closer.  I was doing pretty good to hold it all together and then we sang hymn 81, Press Forward Saints for an intermediate hymn.  The ward music director stood up before this song and asked that we really feel the spirit as we sing this song with power.  Trent said he does not think he has ever heard our ward sing so well.  The spirit overwhelmed me and the tears came as I listened and read these words...

1. Press forward, Saints, with steadfast faith in Christ,
With hope’s bright flame alight in heart and mind,
With love of God and love of all mankind.
[Chorus]
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
2. Press forward, feasting on the word of Christ.
Receive his name, rejoicing in his might.
Come unto God; find everlasting light.
3. Press on, enduring in the ways of Christ.
His love proclaim thru days of mortal strife.
Thus saith our God: “Ye have eternal life!”

 Everyday we have to continue to press forward through this life that is not easy to navigate.  On Sunday I also read the conference talk More Than Conquerors through Him That Loved Us.  You can find it here.  It is all about our trials and afflictions and it really is an amazing talk.  One quote from it reads, "We must be careful that we don't resent the very things that help us put on the divine nature."  I know that my trials are not always easy to bear and I keep praying for Tania, Nathan, Kama and Bob, for Benjamin, Samuel, Hannah, Camilla, Miriam, William and Julia because I know that their lot probably seems hard to bear right now.  I cannot imagine not being able to see or hold my new baby or hug my children.  As I went to Primary and we spoke about the temple and the eternal nature of families I was reminded of the words from I Will Follow God's Plan for Me particularly the line that reads,

I will follow God’s plan for me,
Holding fast to his word and his love.

Easier said then done right now when this family is faced with a lot.  I felt such comfort as I thought of these words and then as we sang them.  We have to believe and hope and pray and have faith in that plan that God has for us.  His love and His words will guide us as we strive to press forward.  As Elder Johnson said, "Being good is not enough.  We want to become like the Savior..."
My day had lighter moments too.  In Primary today one of our 4 year olds was cracking me up.  He made several comments but at the end of sharing time we were talking about how we can keep ourselves worthy to go to the temple.  He said, "I commit way to many sins to go to the temple!"  I asked the children what they can do if they make mistakes and they all responded with REPENT.  Conner's sweet face and seriousness today made me grateful for Heavenly Father's plan that we have Primary and we can learn together.  I feel the same as Conner somedays...I make way too many mistakes why does Heavenly Father trust me with anything.
At the end of our day Trent was going to a general Priesthood meeting.  Jack asked if he could go.  He had worn shorts and golf shirt to church but as he was getting ready to go to the meeting with Trent he came down with his tan pants, white shirt, bow tie and blazer and expressed that he needed to look really nice for this meeting.  Trent and I look at each other like who is this kid tonight?!?  We asked him if he was feeling ok?!?  He smiled his trademark smile that seriously melts my heart.  When this kid is sweet it is better than any treat.  He has such a sincerity about him.
It was a challenging fast today.  And I hope that Tania felt the prayers and strength of her family all around her.  I hope that we can all put our trust in the Lord this week.
My handsome guys.  All ready to go to the Priesthood meeting.

No comments: