4.09.2008

Older shots...by far the worse!


Going to the doctor has never been a big deal for Lucie...until she found out she had to have kindergarten shots. A few weeks ago after a friend had them she asked me if she had to have them. After I responded with a "yes" she was bummed and made her argument that she did not want to have shots.
Well, yesterday was her turn. It turned out that I was able to get an appointment the same day I called so I picked her up from school and proceeded to tell her on the way to the doctor that she was going to have shots. Tears immediately came...so we talked about her day, called Trent and she calmed down. She was ok until it was time to get out of the car and then she was trying not to have to get out, but she agreed if I carried her. We talked on the way into the office and the whole time in the waiting room she was fine...so I was thinking she was going to ok...WRONG:(
The minute the nurse called her name she dropped off the bench and started crying hysterically. It was like a light switch! I had to carry her back to the room kicking and screaming. The nurse gave us a couple of minutes, but it did not help...she was halfway calm until 2 nurses walked back in the room. The real fun began...we had to pry her coat off, then she had to be held down...I felt terrible. After a few scratches, lots of screaming (I told her afterwards that she was making so much noise that people outside the building could probably hear her), lots of fighting they were able to do shots in both arms and in her leg.
I did not expect this at all because Lucie never cried for any shots and was never sick afterwards, but she set a new standard because she made up for five years of not crying at shots and she was sick in the night and is still not feeling well today. Just one of those life experiences and at least we were some late afternoon entertainment for the doctors office!!

7 comments:

cpcox99 said...

Oh Ashlie. I feel your pain. It sounds like that was quite an ordeal for both you and Lucie. Not fun. I hope Lucie feels better soon. And I bet you're glad you don't have to do any shots again anytime soon. :)

Harmoni said...

Lucie,
I know how you feel about those shots. BUT guess what you get to go to kindergarten NOW whoo hoo. Thats the best reason to go thru all that nonesense.
You are such a Cutie and we love you and are proud of you for doing that.
Love Harm and Parker

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we just have to do things that are not all fun and games!!! But in the the end it is all worth it - Kindergarten Yippee!!! I hope you are ok Ash! that is hard on a Mom!
Love you- and feel better soon Lucie!
s/b

McRae Family said...

Lucie....
You are getting so big and shots definately are not the funnest but going to Kindergarten is so fun. Sorry Ashlie, that does not sound fun at all, I think it is harder on us than it is on them, Izeck is the lucky one this year for shots and he is not excited at all....darn Jr. High requirements.. Love you, Engor

Sally said...

Ash, that is so sad to have to go through as a parent. We know that the benefit of the shot is huge but still it is so hard to watch them be so sad. And THEN for Lucie to be sick from the shots! We got stitches out today and had a similar experience...parenting...isn't it just so much fun sometimes?

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Poor little Lucie! She's old enough now to know what she's in for. I've got to take both boys to get caught up with shots. . . uuhhh. They'll be kicking and screaming.

jlohran said...

That sounds so sad-- Lucie is the happiest kid so to hear this you know she did not want those shots. I can say that I think we have traumatized Chase with his surgery-- but he HATES shots. But at least it is over.