12.24.2008

Traditions

Every December we look forward to our countdown to Christmas using our socks. We have 24 socks that we pin up and then every night the elves and reindeer visit our house and either leave a gift, service opportunity, or instructions to do something like read the nativity story and have hot cocoa! This has become a family tradition that we all look forward to and it has kind of evolved each year to bring on new meaning or experiences.


One night the elves and reindeer left all the materials and instructions to build our own indoor frosty!

The other thing that we have really enjoyed doing this year is learning about our Savior in the scriptures and with pictures. In the December issue of the Friend magazine they put out a countdown to Christmas with a scripture and picture reference from the gospel art kit. I personally have really enjoyed reading these scriptures and learning new things about the life of Christ.
I love this time of year...the smells of Christmas, the music, family time, the Christmas tree, seeing people give to others. Just last week I was pulling into the parking lot of Lucie's school and they were loading up all the food and supplies they collected this week. What an awesome sight! Most importantly I am thankful for the Savior's birth. Even though this month feels like it flies by I love that whatever the activity might be we are trying to reflect on our love for the Savior and His birth and sacrifice for us.
Merry Christmas!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

the brooks bunch said...

What a fun teaching tool! I love your snowman! I hope your Christmas was wonderful!
Love you-

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

That is the cutest idea! I'll have to do that next year.