Schoonie Reunion
May 14th and 15th, 2011
Greg and Debbie's Retirement from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
We had a late Saturday getting home from reunion activities and then a very early Sunday morning heading back to Salt Lake. Trent needed to be to the tabernacle by 8am to sit by family for the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast. We dropped him off at 8 at the gate and he was able to make it. The family sat 3 rows back for the broadcast.
May 14th and 15th, 2011
Greg and Debbie's Retirement from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
We had a late Saturday getting home from reunion activities and then a very early Sunday morning heading back to Salt Lake. Trent needed to be to the tabernacle by 8am to sit by family for the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast. We dropped him off at 8 at the gate and he was able to make it. The family sat 3 rows back for the broadcast.
My little friends and I walked over to where the Papworth's were staying and then walked to temple square with Shauna. We watched the broadcast at the North visitors center. They had it setup for families with children not 8 to watch the broadcast. It was the party version of the broadcast!
Immediately following the live broadcast we headed over to the tabernacle for the retirement ceremony. 19 members of the choir were retiring and let me say it was an awesome and inspiring meeting to a part of. President Monson was there, which was awesome! I love when he walks into a meeting and everyone stands. The spirit in those moments is overpowering, yet peaceful. Each retiring choir member had written about a short write about their story, experiences with the choir, why they joined the choir, how they feel about the choir, etc. and then Mac Wilberg shared something about the choir member as well. The stories were fascinating. There was one sister who attended a Mo Tab Choir concert and knew right then that the church was true and that she was going to join the church and sing in the choir someday. The day of her choir retirement was also the 45th anniversary of her baptism. I really enjoyed listening to each story and learning about these individuals.
I think it is awesome that Greg and Debbie have been able to share this experience together. Debbie has been in the choir for 11 years and Greg for 5. They both celebrated their 60th birthdays this past year and so were required to retire. They were so excited/appreciative of how much family they had at the retirement ceremony. They have all the family and friends stand up as part of their recognition. Debbie said that when all of their family/friends stood up that Mac said, "oh wow!"
Immediately following the live broadcast we headed over to the tabernacle for the retirement ceremony. 19 members of the choir were retiring and let me say it was an awesome and inspiring meeting to a part of. President Monson was there, which was awesome! I love when he walks into a meeting and everyone stands. The spirit in those moments is overpowering, yet peaceful. Each retiring choir member had written about a short write about their story, experiences with the choir, why they joined the choir, how they feel about the choir, etc. and then Mac Wilberg shared something about the choir member as well. The stories were fascinating. There was one sister who attended a Mo Tab Choir concert and knew right then that the church was true and that she was going to join the church and sing in the choir someday. The day of her choir retirement was also the 45th anniversary of her baptism. I really enjoyed listening to each story and learning about these individuals.
I think it is awesome that Greg and Debbie have been able to share this experience together. Debbie has been in the choir for 11 years and Greg for 5. They both celebrated their 60th birthdays this past year and so were required to retire. They were so excited/appreciative of how much family they had at the retirement ceremony. They have all the family and friends stand up as part of their recognition. Debbie said that when all of their family/friends stood up that Mac said, "oh wow!"
This is so Greg...always happy, friendly and outgoing. I love his big smile in this picture.
President Monson was so animated throughout the whole retirement ceremony. I loved watching his reaction to something that was shared, his smile, his presence in the meeting was felt by all who were there.
After the ceremony we took a few pictures of our little friends. The flowers were beautiful! Then we headed over to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building to have lunch with all of the Schoonie family.
I love little monkey's lips in this picture. I am sure she was being sassy!
After lunch we walked over to the church museum to check out the new children's exhibit on the Book of Mormon and to see the pioneer house. Jack loves to see the pioneer house.
I am loving their face expressions in this pic. Ruby looks like she is getting in trouble and Jack looks like he is in shock!
This was a church missionary helping Ruby put on a skirt to learn a dance.
Learning the dance. Trent jumped right into this activity.
Ruby is checkin herself out in the mirror!
iGirl...she has a radar for anything with a touchscreen!
We had a fabulous weekend with family, feeling the spirit, and being on temple square. I am truly grateful for the gospel. I know it brings us all together and holds us all together.
One more...I just want to give you all squeezes!
One more...I just want to give you all squeezes!



1 comment:
Ruby looks so much like you! Sounds so fun!
Post a Comment