4.05.2009

Things I Want to Remember

Earlier this week I attended a funeral for a friend, Peggy. She passed away expectantly. At her funeral there were 2 speakers, one from her work and one a neighborhood friend. They both spoke about Peggy's love for others and the kindness that she showed to others. Neither of the speakers had ever met, but their talks were almost identical in the way that they described Peggy. I thought this was such a compliment to her life and that she was the same, kind person no matter what places she might have been in. I will remember Peggy for her chocolate chip cookies. She always gave them to you in a brown lunch sack and they were delicious. And whenever I saw her she would kiss me on the forehead and tell me to "kiss my babies" for her. I mention this friend's passing because her funeral really touched me and the reminder to do things because you love the people or the thing not because of a calling or because you have to. Exercising charity in our lives is so important.

My little friends...I LOVE them so much!
This week Lucie started track club at school. On our way home from track the following conversation took place:
Lucie: Mom I know you needed to come into the school today to sign up for treats, but next time can you just pick me up out front. I can do it all by myself.
Mom: Lucie you are just growing up and getting too big.
Lucie: I know mom but I can do it all by myself.
On one hand I was so sad that she wants to do all things all by herself, but I am also very grateful that she is so responsible and that I trust her to get to where she needs to be when she is supposed to be there. I am grateful that she is enjoying school so much. She continues to be a huge sponge, soaking up everything that she can possibly learn. She definitely inherited her dad's ability for memorization. She remembers everything from school, to conversations we have, to activities we did months ago. Her favorite subjects in school are math and Spanish. I love those moments when she asks me to give her a hug and we can sit and chat. She is such a sweet girl.

A few weeks ago one of the older sisters in our ward passed away. Lucie and Jack both loved this sister. I was driving Lucie in the car with a couple of classmates when I heard her telling them that she was going to a funeral for her friend. This was so sweet to me that she loved this 92 year old lady and valued her friendship with her.

Jack puts a smile on my face everyday. I love the way he dances to music...the way he moves his fingers to the beat and his eyes go to the top of his head. He is a determined little boy, which can cause frustration between me and him, but at the end of the day he is always sweet with his hugs and kisses. He is my buddy and is willing to help with anything. He loves to empty the dishwasher, help dust the house. He is also our little planner. He is always making plans for us, setting up play dates for himself or asking people if he can come to their house because he loves to see where people live. He is very social and gets along easily with others. 2 conversations that I want to remember:
Jack: mom what are we going home to do?
mom: we are going to make banana bread
Jack: mom you put a smile on my face.

mom: Jack are you sure you want to wear that shirt.
Jack: mom this is a fine, perfect shirt!

This weekend Lucie and Jack went to their cousins house for a sleepover. They had a such a fun time. Tonight at dinner Jack was so sweet and said this of one of his cousins, "Izeck is my friend." Thanks McRae's for being such awesome cousins! We love you and appreciate you letting Lucie and Jack hang out.

It was a bit strange to only have one child for the weekend. Trent and I enjoyed spending time together and enjoyed having one on one time with Ruby. We watched all 4 session of general conference. It has been awhile since I have made it through all 4 sessions without some sort of interruption. All of the messages were so good. I particularly enjoyed Elder Hales, Elder Scotts, all of the Sunday morning session, and Elder Bednar's talks. We are so blessed to have a living prophet and to have inspired leaders who dedicate their lives to serving Christ. The gospel is true and I am thankful to a member of this great work.

2 comments:

jayni & ben said...

Cutest kids EVER!!!

the brooks bunch said...

I so enjoy when you do your thoughts! and I really love the vare feet! Such cute kids. It sounds like the Mcrae household was a party for a few days! fun times for the kids!
Love you-